Bee Stings in Dogs – First Aid Treatment


28.02.2019
181

In the summer, a dog walking can end in a bee sting. Not only it gives the pet a whole spectrum of unpleasant feelings, but can also cause allergic reactions, sometimes even leading to suffocation. Even if there are no such complications, the animal may scratch the wound till it bleeds and introduce infection into the open wound, therefore, the bitten pet must be treated.

How to Recognize a Wasp Bite?

If the dog is stung by an insect, it whines and constantly licks the sore area. Itching and soreness may bother the dog bee stung in dogup to several days. It is possible to distinguish a wasp from a bee bite by the absence of a sting in a blister, as well as by the number of wounds. Unlike a bee, one and the same wasp can sting for several times. If a dog is stung by a bee in a paw, it will tuck the wounded limb under and avoid standing on all fours.

If the animal has a bee, wasp, or bumblebee sting allergy, the affected area instantly gets swollen and red, the whole body of an animal may become covered with a rash. The development of an extensive allergic reaction can lead to labored breathing due to laryngeal edema. The tongue and mucous membranes of the mouth acquire purple coloring, foam may come from the pet’s mouth, vomiting with foam, and apsychia may also occur.

If a dog was bitten in a lip, neck, nose or tongue by a bee, the risk of laryngeal edema increases. This dangerous condition can lead to the death of an animal in the shortest time possible. If the dog has stirred a vespiary or a beehive and acquired multiple blisters on its body and face, the risk of an anaphylactic reaction also increases. It is bee stings in dogs first aidnecessary to monitor the state of the dog’s health throughout the day after it was stung, as allergic reactions may not manifest themselves immediately. These are the factors affecting the speed of allergic reaction:

  • amount of poison that entered the tissue with the bite;
  • physiological qualities of the animal;
  • the affected area.
Note!
The most dangerous places for bites are the muzzle, oral cavity and neck. If a pet accidentally swallows an insect, it can even sting it immediately in the larynx. And this, even in the absence of an allergic reaction, can lead to suffocation.

First Aid Treatment

If a bee bite is suspected, it is necessary to examine the pet’s skin under the coat. A blister can be found in any part of the body, but when a dog gets stung by bee in the mouth, or a nose it is the most painful experience. First of all, you need to make sure that the dog was bitten by a bee, and not some other insect. Then the swollen place has to be washed with ethyl alcohol or impose a bandage, soaked in a mixture of ammonia with water.

To relieve pain and stinging lubricate the blister with Bepanten, Fenistil or 1% hydrocortisone ointment. If these agents are inaccessible, a gauze bandage soaked in a boric acid solution (1 tsp per 250 ml of water) can be applied to the bitten area with the same purpose. If there no medications are at hand, ice can also be applied to the bite site. bee stings in dogs helpThis will help to slow down the spread of toxic substances. Other popular methods of treatment include application of honey, dandelion juice and plantain leaves.

It is important to ensure that the dog consumes a sufficient amount of liquid. In order to avoid an allergic reaction, it is recommended to administer to the animal an antihistamine pill, after grinding it and mixing with water. The resulting medication must be injected into the mouth of the pet. The dosage has to be calculated based on the pet’s body weight.

If an immediate anaphylactic reaction has developed, an antihistamine (Diphenhydramine, Suprastin, Tavegil) must be administered intramuscularly without hesitation. Take 0.1 ml of the injection solution per 1 kg of animal’s body weight (weight up to 10 kg). A dog weighing over 30 kg is administered 2 ml of the drug. To stop the developing reaction, an injection of adrenaline is also advisable. To normalize reduced hypotension use 20 drops of Cordiamine. Anaphylaxis is more likely to develop when the dog was bitten by a bee behind the tongue.

Preventional Measures

To avoid complications with bee bites, you have to follow these instructions. If the pet has already been allergic to an insect bite, it is likely that the next event will occur in a yet more severe form. Therefore, always have antihistamines in pills and injections with you when walking the pet. Before traveling with an animal to the countryside, be sure to get ready a first aid kit with all the necessary medicines. After every outing, you should inspect the pet for blisters and edema.

If a dog was bitten by a bee by the muzzle or neck and swelling manifested, there is a risk that it has spread to the larynx. Therefore, it is necessary to take a pet to the veterinarian as quickly as possible, and in case of emergency do be sure to have antihistamines with you.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *