The animals’ body is almost fully covered with coat, but there are also hairless areas, as stomach for example. The appearance of red spots on dogs’ belly is quite a common symptom. It means the development of serious health problems, but, it may also indicate non-life-threatening states.
7 main groups with similar symptoms and particular features may be highlighted among the causes of the disease.
Bites of Insects and Mites
This shows as bright red spots, which appear on a dog’s belly on the areas affected by insects. At that, the bites can be itchy a little, making a pet feel discomfort. Flears could be easily revealed by their black nits or insects themselves, which could be visible on the coat. It is more difficult to deal with mites, because they attach themselves to the animal’s body.
Feed, its components, chemicals or elements of the environment could be allergens. Allergy is characterized by specific symptoms, such as dermatitis at the place of contact with the irritant, rash and spots, intense permanent itching, sometimes even fever and vomiting.
The disease develops due to long term presence of the pet in an environment with high temperature and humidity. It shows itself in the form of redness throughout the body, especially in skin folds, the pet feels thirsty, apathetic, weak and has physic tension. In neglectic cases scabs appear on the skin followed by suppuration.
These are caused by funguses, bacteria (staphylococci)
- Fungi declare itself by occurrence of red spots on the bottom of the stomach and grain, accompanied by permanent itching, anxiety and physic tension. With no treatment the reddening eventually turns into ulceration.
- Ringworm is a common ailment. Differential characteristics of the ringworm are round red spots on the dogs’ belly, alopecia, anxiety, intense itching. The ringworm is infectious to humans.
- Pyoderma is the infection of inflammatory nature. Its causative agent is staphylococcus. It multiplies rapidly in favorable conditions. The infection often passes to the hair follicles causing folliculitis. The disease shows itself in the form of erythema, pimples and abscesses on the belly.
Tumors could be benign and malignant. In the early stages of development they do not show any symptoms. With the proliferation, lumps occur in the red areas on the belly. For a long time, the dog’s behavior remains as usual and this complicates the timely diagnosis and treatment.
Factors that cause nervous disorders: moving to a new house, strong fright, constant anxiety, feeling of loneliness, separation from the owner. Symptoms: itchy feeling, pulling hair, licking the wounds, pimples with areas of redness. Threat – the development of secondary infection in case of contact with microbes through damaged skin.
Diseases of Various Etiologies
When the suffering from plague reddened spots occur on the abdomen, inner thighs, in the groin area. Nodules with the transition into blisters filled with pus appear in these places. When they burst, crust forms. The disease is dangerous due to high mortality. Tuberculosis is manifested by a general deterioration of the skin, the appearance of wounds, ulcers, bright redness with a pale center in various parts of the body. Affected areas may lose sensitivity.
Photos of Red Spots on Puppy Belly
Diagnosis and Treatment
The veterinarian determines the cause of the disease after diagnostic measures: a full examination with a detailed inspection of the affected area; patient intake through questioning the owner; blood and urine tests; if necessary – biopsy, scraping, allergotest. After diagnosis determination, treatment is prescribed:
- Insect bites – pills (Bravekto, Comfortis, Simparika), mites removal, prevention (special collar, inspections).
- Allergy – exclusion of allergen, compliance with the prescribed diet, antihistamines (Suprastin, Tavegil).
- Sweating-lubrication of redness (Hydrocortisone ointment), prevention (morning or evening walks, wiping the skin folds, access to water for drinking).
- Skin infections – treatment (Chlorhexidine, Miramistin), antifungal agents (Vacderm, Poliwak, Fungil, Zoomicol). When ringworm – immunomodulators (Maxidin, Imunofan), ointments (Zoomicol, Dermatol), vitamins. Folliculitis – itching removal (Travocort, Diazolin), grooming, bathing, antimicrobial agents (Iodes, Zooderm), antibiotics (Baytril, Cephalexin).
- Neoplasms – benign (permanent control), malignant – chemotherapy.
- Nervous disorders-stress relief, walking, playing with a pet, light sedatives (Cot Baiyun, Stop-Stress).
- Plague – serum (Vitacan-S), immunostimulant (Maximin, Ribotan), the treatment of redness (hydrogen peroxide, Chlorhexidine). Tuberculosis-antibiotics (Rifampicin, Streptomycin), immunomodulants, globulins, nutrition adjustment.
Only a vet could prescribe drugs. Addressing the cause of red spots on the dog’s belly and a full recovery depend on proper treatment.