Domestic animals are susceptible to inflammation of various organs and tissues. If the dog has swollen testicles, it is a sign of orchitis. Its causes are various: from common allergies to serious diseases, such as plague.
Causes of Orchitis
If the dog’s testicles are swollen, it may be a sign of exposure to allergens, various traumas, infections, viruses, and other factors. Veterinarians usually name the following causes of orchitis:
- Injuries. They are of two types of injuries: open and nonpenetrating. The first one is an open wound, susceptible to penetration of infectious agents. With a nonpenetrating injury, the damaged testicles cut off the blood circulation. This leads to the development of inflammation, swelling similar to a wasp bite;
- Infectious diseases. These include the distemper, leptospirosis, brucellosis. They are manifested by various symptoms and constitute a serious threat to the health and life of the pet. Pathogens infiltrate the testes through the bloodstream, along with lymph;
- Pathologies of the genitourinary system: cystitis, bacterial prostatitis, urethritis, kidney and urinary disease. The infection or virus infiltrates the testes from the affected organ;
- Insect bites, ticks, intensive parturiating of ectoparasites. Inflammation in this case is body’s response to insect-borne substances. For example, ticks can infect an animal with rickettsia causing ehrlichiosis. In addition to swelling hemorrhages may also be observed in a pet;
- Surgical pathology: hernia in the groin area, spermatic cord twisting. Swelling is a result of mechanical damage to the testicles and blood vessels;
- Benign and malignant tumors. Types: leidigoma, seminoma, sertolioma, androblastoma. Those animals with one or both orchis unable to sink into the scrotum. Factors that may trigger growth of a tumor are: disruptions of the endocrine system, ageing, infections, viruses, serious injuries of the scrotum, etc;
- Dropsy in the scrotum. Intensive accumulation of liquids occurs in case of tuberculosis or filariasis. They cause development of an inflammatory processes with subsequent appearance of edema;
- Allergic reactions. They often appear when switching to a new diet, including new dog food due to intolerance to some components. The problem manifests itself by dermatitis in various areas of the body;
- Fungal infection: coccidiomycosis and blastomycosis.
Whatever is the cause, it must be eliminated, therefore do not hesitate and take your dog to the veterinary for a checkup as soon as possible.
Inflammation of the scrotum is manifested by the following symptoms:
- testicles significantly increase in size, become swollen;
- the pet constantly licks the scrotum, which is dangerous in case of open wounds;
- the affected area is reddened, the skin is tense;
- high body temperature;
- the dog whines, barks, shows aggressive behavior when you try to touch the sore area;
- decreased activity, uncharacteristic gait.
Concomitant signs: lethargy, depression, refusal to food, fever, emaciation. The pet is often sleepy, rarely not gets up. If the disease becomes chronic, infertility develops.
Diagnostics and Treatment
Only with the veterinarian can determine an accurate diagnosis. At the consultation, he will conduct a number of diagnostic procedures:
- Accumulation of the background history: general information about life, nutrition of the pet, previous diseases. The owner should also describe in detail deviation in behavior of a pet.
- Checkup. The veterinarian will palpate the scrotum; determine the size of the swelling and skin color in the affected area.
- Laboratory tests (blood, urinary) to determine inflammatory processes.
- Ultrasound diagnosis of the scrotum and abdominal organs.
- Biological sampling (biopsy) to identify the causative agent of the disease.
After determining the true cause, the veterinarian prescribes a certain treatment. If the dog’s testicles are swollen, a general algorithm of therapeutic procedures is usually performed:
- If the dog is not a breeder, castration with complete removal of the testicles is recommended.
- These antibiotics are often prescribed: Amoxicillin, Ceftriaxone, Ceftazidime. Regular blood tests are also recommended.
- Hepatoprotectors: Hepatovet, Covertal, Legafiton.
- Probiotics: Lactobifadol, Bifidum, Fortiflora, Baktoneotim.
- Antifungal remedies are used in case of mycosis. With allergies a change in diet, as well as antihistamines (Suprastin, Tavegil, Diazolin) are usually prescribed.
Orchitis means an inflammatory process of the testicles, which is easier to prevent than to cure. Therefore, preventive measures should be taken: vaccination, regular checkups, timely treatment of wounds and infections.